Stat Counter

A Valley Isle reportage. Shoot first, write later.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Funk Plastic on Maui



I was treated to something magical this afternoon in Paia on the way home.  Ladies and gentlemen, please meet Todd Irving, a.k.a. Funk Plastic.  This famous one-man musical phenomenon had people applauding and walking out of Paia restaurants to pay heed to his nationally renown street drumming.

Having just arrived on Maui two weeks ago from the Pacific Northwest where he drummed during Portland Trailblazer games, Funk Plastic's speciality is to use upturned 5 gallon plastic buckets as his  drum set.  Todd sounded spectacular.  I've never heard street music this good in Paia.  Ever.

I chatted with Todd for a bit and he explained to me the finer aspects of his drumming methodology and the science behind aspects such as the sonic differences of hitting the top of the bucket in the center, versus on the rim, versus on the area in between.

I hope he gets a gig in a local venue soon.  For a video of Todd click here, or for more info, just Google "Funk Plastic."












































Todd, if you read this, please leave me your e-mail so I can send you pics - joshwbergeron@gmail.com. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Josh, I really enjoy watching talented street artists/musicians..... The world needs more of them!

    Peace, Errol

    ReplyDelete