Stat Counter

A Valley Isle reportage. Shoot first, write later.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Big Apple Bound

I'm going to NYC for a week.

I'm taking the red-eye tonight from Kahului to LA to Newark.  I used to study, live, and work in Manhattan, so it will be nice to go back to visit family as well as to do some work.  Anyways, having been away from city life for many years now, simply packing for the trip was very eye-opening.

First of all, I'm completely amazed by how many pairs of shoes I need to bring to live and survive in a metropolis like New York.   I have to bring FOUR pairs of shoes!  From left to right:  running shoes for well, running and working out, dress shoes for work and evenings, casual hip day shoes for the day, and semi-athletic/casual day shoes to mix it up.  Because you know the people I will meet and reacquaint myself with actually care and pay attention to what I put on my feet, how often I wear said stuff, and if I wear the same stuff more than two days in a row.





This is what I wear in Maui 90% of the time for all occasions.


On sale for $10.99/pair.


OK, I just covered what goes on my feet.  How about the other stuff?  The stuff that pretty much covers my entire body except for my head and hands, and all the necessary accessories in between.  I really had to do some digging to get this stuff out of the closet.

Note the assorted ties - varying in color, fabric, and texture - as well as the shiny cuff links in God Bless America colors, and the even shinier wristwatch that's thin enough to slide under a shirt cuff (sorry Suunto D4).  Why do the socks have gold toes?  Because that's the brand.  So my feet go in the socks first and then into the shoes.  Got it.  Also, I need a lint brush.  I foresee lots of ironing (no starch please), preening, and hours of grooming.





What I wear in Maui 90% of the time and takes literally 9 seconds to put on eyes closed with the accessory.





Suits?  You mean I have to wear another layer of clothing on top of the first layer I already put on with the silk noose around my neck?  Yes, jackets are required, sir.  Note two suits for various occasions.  The top suit is European and Continental, with subtle pinstripes, three buttons, sculpted midsection, and side vents.  The bottom suit is what George Bush wears - conservative Brooks Brothers, two button, roomy, and center vented, as if I was a riding a horse.  They both need pressing badly by the way.






Believe it or not, I do wear a suit in Maui.  In fact I wear one daily for work.  Two piece, made-to-measure in 5mm Sheico neoprene, and nylon lined on both sides, from Elios, of Italy.



So, I will morph from Maui Observer to Big Apple Observer for a week.  I will bring my camera...let's see what happens.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment