Stat Counter

A Valley Isle reportage. Shoot first, write later.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Instead Of A Military Base

Unlike on Oahu, Kauai, or the Big Island of Hawaii, there are no military bases on Maui.  I love this fact - another aspect which makes Maui so special.  The closest thing we have to an actual base is this thing (which upon first eyeing it after its construction, I believed to be a new mall):



I then realized its isolated location in the center of Maui amidst sugarcane fields on Mokulele Highway between Kahului and Kihei.  If you are going to South Maui from the airport, you will pass this structure on your left.

Here stands the Pu'unene Armory of the Hawaii Army National Guard.  Frankly, I don't know anything about this place, and I can only imagine what's inside.  The first images that pop into my head are those of Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando where  as Col. John Matrix, the Governator breaks into a pawn shop with a bulldozer and goes on an arsenal free-for-all shopping spree.  I'm especially fond of the 4 tube rocket launcher which Rae Dawn Chong fires backwards.  That and the fact that in the movie, Ah-nold can fire a full-size Uzi one handed.  :)


What's the point of an armory?  If Maui is invaded and its citizen soldiers/National Guard troops on island need massive firepower to repel an attack?  Kick Ass!




No comments:

Post a Comment