Stat Counter

A Valley Isle reportage. Shoot first, write later.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Death by Coconut


You have a greater chance of getting killed in Hawaii by a falling coconut than by shark attack.

The particular set of trees I was spying yesterday looked mighty tall - at least 80ft.  I tried to imagine what it would be like to get hit in the head by one of these 6 to 7lb "seeds."  I assume that death would be pretty instantaneous.

I then ponder the rarer of the two mishaps, and realize there is something innately primal and correct about my fear of being eaten alive by another animal.  In Hawaii, an aquatic creature capable of doing such a thing would most likely be an adult Tiger Shark.

Guess what though, the reality of a Tiger attack is not that horrendous as a Tiger bite is usually a case of mistaken identity.  The beast thinks you're a turtle or plump seal.  Most tiger attacks in Hawaii result in just injuries.  Of course, a Tiger could bite you, realize you're not a prey item, let you go, and in the process hit a major artery and you slowly proceed to bleed out.

I'd rather dodge coconuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment