Stat Counter

A Valley Isle reportage. Shoot first, write later.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Just Another Day at Hookipa

The real call of the North Shore - its whole existence really - is based on the surf.  Oahu has Waimea Bay and Pipeline, and here on Maui, we have Peahi a.k.a. - Jaws (tow-in), Kanaha (kitesurfing), and the granddaddy of them all - Hookipa Beach.  Arguably the finest stretch of windsurfing to be had anywhere, this place attracts world-class talent and Hookipa regularly hosts various windsurfing and surfing contests.

However, before I starting showing you the meat of today, I just have to show you this couple who walked in front of my truck to cross the street in Paia.

I don't know about you, but to me, that looks intentional... :)





OK, back to Hookipa... As I pull into the overlook parking lot, I see all sorts of people ranging from locals to visitors gazing in awe at these superheroes of the wind and waves.  I heard stuff like, "did you see that guy fall?  I hope he's not hurt!" and "look at that turn, that's crazy!"

Oh, to be placed on a pedestal.

























Everyplace has its rules and regs, and Hookipa is no exception.  You can see the windsurfers in the nearer distance and kiters in the background.  In the immediate foreground directly underneath me and not in the shot are the surfers.  Clearly designated, yet invisible boundaries separate these three cousins.

On the beach now and waiting at the water's edge for windsurfers to get out of the water, I kneel camera in hand to get close-ups.  As I wait and watch one windsurfer after another glide to a halt and proceed to walk up the beach, I realize that everyone seems to really know what they're doing.  Not like the I'm kinda-good intermediate know what I'm doing, but the if you shoot me and show the logo on the bottom of my board, you the photographer can make money selling my image to a magazine kind of good.  Don't get any ideas people and steal my photos!  However, this is how I heard it works in the surfing mag photo business - the more advertiser names and stickers showcased, the better for the surfer and the photographer.

Now all I need a 600mm telephoto lens...  In the meantime, I'll just get paparazzi close.


Superhero #1






Superhero #2


























Superhero #3

























Now that's what I call using your head.



In the parking lot I come across the Hawaiian version of the lemonade stand, the infamous and deliciously addictive Pickle Mango for sale.  That's the stuff sitting atop the blue cooler.  Wonderful!


Future Superhero



























1 comment:

  1. Josh You are a GREAT blogger! Wish I knew about your blog before today!! Love the pics! As a north pacific freediver/spearfisher I love that you are into freediving! Can't wait to be in Maui, no 4inch wetsuit required! Muahaha..

    ReplyDelete