Stat Counter

A Valley Isle reportage. Shoot first, write later.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Intro to Hiking Haleakala Crater

As a follow-up to my post displaying the pics of my latest hike in Haleakala crater, I'd like to provide a few things to keep in mind when exploring The House of Sun.


To preface, please realize that hiking in the crater is an amazing and awe-inspiring activity.  Many visitors go to the summit each day, but very few actually take a hike down inside the caldera.  I know several locals born and raised on Maui who have never been there!  Ultimately, once you are in the crater, you are essentially on your own.  The farther you hike in, the less people you see.  I have literally been exploring on the crater floor for hours without seeing ANYONE.  If you want to know what I imagine it is like to walk on Mars, then please read on!



Here's a checklist of stuff to bring and keep in mind:

1.  Water

I recommend one liter per person, per hour of hiking.  Please bring it with you as even though there are restrooms and water fountains at the Visitor Center near the Sliding Sands trailhead, I wouldn't rely on them.  I would err on the side of bringing too much water versus not enough.

2.  Food, snacks, energy bars

There aren't any stores or vendors up there, and this may seem obvious, but you really you need to eat for energy, especially for the hike out of the crater.

3.  Don't hike alone

There's no cell reception and I've never seen a Park Ranger actually in the crater.  If you're in trouble, your buddy can go get help.



4.  You are at 10,000 ft

Due to the altitude, please take it easy in the beginning as there is less oxygen available.  I guarantee you will not be as strong as you are at sea-level.  Mental and reasoning skills are also impaired.  I have a friend who works at Science City and he said they stopped doing computer programming there because of the altitude effects!


5.  Weather, Temperature, and Dress

Due to the altitude, it is cold and it can be very windy.  Clouds can make it quite damp as well.  So, please wear long pants and dress in layers of synthetic fabric that will dry quickly if wet.  Try not to wear any cotton.  The concept of wearing layers is critical because going down is much easier than going up.  On the way up, you'll probably sweat and need to shed some clothes.  An outer jacket or shell to block rain or wind wouldn't hurt either.  As far as footwear, hiking shoes are optimal, but athletic or running shoes will do.



6.  Miscellaneous Items

- Sunscreen and sunglasses - I have actually been sunburned up there and I normally don't burn at the beach.
- Toilet paper - The only toilet facilities are at the campsites which are few and far between, so please remember to pack it out.
- Cash - It costs $10 per car to enter Haleakala National Park.
- Please stay on the trails!

Now that we got that out of the way, ready?  OK, let's go! :)































Here's a great intro hike and the same hike I did to get those photos in my previous Haleakala post.

Starting at the Haleakala Visitor Center, I took Sliding Sands trail down to the first intersection.


























I made a left turn and ventured to Ka Lu'u o ka ' O'o which looks like the Pit of Carkoon from Return of the Jedi.



I then retraced my steps and worked my way back up Sliding Sands trail.  The whole trip took about 2 hours.  Keep in mind I walked at a leisurely pace, stopped to talk to other hikers, took lots of photos, and rested to enjoy the view while eating.



If this little girl from Calgary can do it, so can you!

No comments:

Post a Comment