Stat Counter

A Valley Isle reportage. Shoot first, write later.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Well-Come to Why-Lay-Ah

Not Miami, but Wailea.

In this completely fabricated and made up section of South Maui, in what was once a large stretch of barren desert-like Kiawe plain, lies a Vegas-esque fantasy world of gushing resort waterfalls, multi-million dollar vacation homes, and the odd celebrity.  As soon as you descend off Pi'ilani Highway and down into Wailea, you are immediately and I'm sure very deliberately reminded by a conglomeration of Maui consumerism - The Shops at Wailea.  Holy Rodeo Drive Batman!



I'm in the area to shoot pics of neighboring Makena, and yes, there is another reason as well which I will get to.  Even though I may not want to, as I'm the Maui Observer, I need to represent all of Maui.  So, here are a bunch of peeps enjoying their morning coffee outside Honolulu Coffee Co. inside "The Shops."

Note the additional water fountain to the left.
































Now I've been told that lots of Japanese women come here to loot the stores of their wares as the goods are apparently much cheaper in Maui than back in Japan.  What kind of stores?  Well:


Everyone's heard of Rolex right?  The monster timepieces that double as brass knuckles.



What the hell do these guys sell?  If I remember the movie Collateral, this place carries leather handbags.




From a friend that works here, apparently the Japanese really like Goo-CHEE.




The Koreans really like Kim-CHEE and this store.






I just like how this establishment resembles a friggin' bank vault.





Now I knew there was a reason I myself was in The Shops.

I head down the escalator, past White House Black Market, turn right, and stroll down a long hallway.  At the end of the hallway, I turn left and enter:





THE FINEST PUBLIC RESTROOM IN MAUI!





AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!


Feel free to stare my friends, as it doesn't get better than this on the Valley Isle.

You will never see so many pristine empty stalls and johns with a floor so clean your slippers squeak as you walk back and forth trying to decide which one to piss in.

2 comments:

  1. LOL!!!! I have got to agree that those are the cleanest shopping center restrooms not only on Maui but the State of Hawaii. We island hop from Honolulu and when we make it out to the south side to see how the other half lives I make the pilgrimage to those restrooms. I had the same thoughts too the first time I took the stroll down that hallway and into the restroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and another plus about the shops at wailea? Your awesome sister works there...duh. Why didn't you come visit me when you took these pictures?

    ReplyDelete