Stat Counter

A Valley Isle reportage. Shoot first, write later.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Love at the Iao Needle

I cruised up to Iao Valley the other day with camera in hand.  The weather has been rainy and overcast all over the island lately, so I figured since Iao Valley is usually covered in clouds anyway, I wouldn't miss the sun as much.


I remember visiting Guilin, China years ago and each time I go to Iao I'm reminded of how similar it looks.

























Iao Needle enshrouded in clouds.
Another aspect I notice about Iao is the fact that every time I'm there, I always run into couples who seem quite enamored with each other.  I mean recently married or about to wed, not the kinds of couples who walk around 50 feet apart.

















Take this couple from Korea for instance.  I didn't even ask for the shakas.
















OK, this pair was separated by about 8 feet of asphalt.

It's ironic that Iao Valley was the site of one of the bloodiest battles in Hawaiian history - The Battle of Kepaniwai.  That stream you see there was supposedly colored red from all the blood.

1 comment:

  1. That Korean couple wasn't giving you the shaka, they were pretending to talk on their cell phones!

    ReplyDelete