Stat Counter

A Valley Isle reportage. Shoot first, write later.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cane Fire Light

I recently posted a pic of a cane fire a few days ago.  It looked pretty neat due to the fact that it took place during the early morning hours.  Well today there was another cane fire in what looked to me like the same location as the previous fire.    As I got closer and closer, what struck me immediately is the noise.  If you ever experience this on Maui, get as close as prudence dictates, roll down your windows, turn off the radio, and listen.



























Who would of thought a burning fire makes so much noise!  Crackling, crunching, popping etc.  Add to the mix the suffocating stench of burning sugarcane and the hazy smoke filled air and I experience flashbacks of certain legendary scenes from Apocalypse Now.   As I drive closer, soon my entire truck is engulfed in the smoke and I see little black flecks and ash - aka - black snow, that covers the hood of my Nissan.   Who knows what else is burned in there!  Someone once told me that all kinds of stuff is set ablaze unintentionally, like PVC pipe and ferile cats...

Here's a shot taken higher up from the same road (Oma'opio Rd):


























So the cane is burned and it leaves that giant red patch of dirt resembling an enormous baseball infield.  How do you get the now burnt sugarcane to the sugar mill for processing?



With a BIG-ASS truck.




























I don't actually know the name of this beast, but I'd think once you're in the driver's seat, you'd feel pretty powerful.  This driver let me pass before he crossed the road and raced to scene of the blaze, like a fire truck on steroids (hey, this monster is yellow too)!  Time is money, and these giants move surprisingly fast.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, the sound of a cane fire is as impressive as the giant mushroom cloud on low wind days.

    ReplyDelete