Stat Counter

A Valley Isle reportage. Shoot first, write later.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Wailuku Eats Part Deux

I'm not exactly sure why, but I love to eat in Wailuku (this post is a continuation about eating in this town).  Perhaps it's because I still find places in Wailuku I merely hear of in passing and always wish I'd patronize, but for some reason miss.  Here are two such establishments that today, marked my first visit.  It will certainly not be the last.

Ichiban Okazuya

I can almost understand why I've never been to Ichiban Okazuya.  It's tucked away from the main drag of Wailuku, and to be honest, I only came across it because I was wandering around looking to shoot "beauty" in the drab government buildings that make up the bulk of this town.  As soon as I saw it, I remember hearing about it in a newspaper awhile ago, and I always wanted to go, but I filed the restaurant away in the "to do" category.

Finally, I arrive and step inside.  The first thing I feel is that this place is old-fashioned in a really good way.  Four to five people scurrying around inside behind the counter amid sizzling and rising steam, serving up containerfuls of local Asian cuisine - a type of cooking you won't find outside Hawaii.  Ichiban Okazuya is intimate and charming, and is pretty much take-out only.

I present my official Office Max special, Maui Observer business card and ask if I can take some photos inside.  The owner - an older Asian man (most likely Japanese) who is also cooking, politely declines with a smile.  I understand, no problem.  I place my order - which is probably as boring as I can make it since I'm planning on running later in the afternoon and I need predictable and proven fuel - that consists of Korean chicken with steamed vegetables, brown rice and pickles for $7.50.  By the time I pay and stroll out with lunch in hand, there's a line of people out the door.

If you want to look inside, you're just gonna have to see for yourself.  :)






2133 Kaohu Street, Wailuku
808-244-7276

































Dad's Donut Shop

I like donuts, always have.  I've driven by this place many a time intrigued by the colorful sign and the charming quaint storefront appeal.  I found out today that this joint is home to some great - here it is again - old-fashioned - donuts with a modern Hawaiian twist.  Firstly, the donuts look like little cupcakes.  Second, there's nothing entirely too fancy about them - no cream filling, no chocolate sprinkles or snowman shapes.  Finally, the little donuts come in various tropical flavors like lilikoi and mango.  Another bonus - Dad's doesn't use any trans fats.

I ordered a maple glaze for the princely sum of 78 cents!  Including tax!






For more info, please visit : Dad's Donut Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment