Stat Counter

A Valley Isle reportage. Shoot first, write later.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

iPad Mania Maui Style

I'm a Mac user.  I switched over from PC's 6 years ago and I've never looked back.  When comparing apples to Apples, I use a Mac Mini, which lets me choose a monitor and I can update to next generation OS X software and processor chips by simply purchasing the latest Mac Mini.  It's easy to upgrade because the little Minis are the least expensive computers in the Mac lineup.

We don't have an actual Apple store on Maui - you need to go to Honolulu for that - but we have an Apple authorized retailer called MacNet in Kahului.  You can identify it by the giant, and by now, iconic bitten apple logo out front.

When it comes to filling a niche that never existed, nobody does it better than Apple.  Take the iPod, a portable music/video player you can take anywhere.  Never thought you needed it right?  Well, I have two.  Working out and my iPod Shuffle are now synonymous, the two always go together at the gym or when I go running.  I sometimes don't work out if I don't have music!  See?  A new lifestyle routine created by a consumer product you can't live without.  Steve Jobs is a genius.  :)  Ha ha!

Enter the iPad.  Sales of this little baby are so strong that apparently Apple needs to delay international orders to fulfill demand.  The iPad is not a dedicated computer, but it's more powerful and versatile than an iPhone or iPod.  See that wonderful new niche that was just created?

Even Apple admits it with the iPad slogan: "a magical and revolutionary product at an unbelievable price."  Never mind the device sounds like a feminine hygiene product.  People want it!  And they want it bad!

Maui is no different.  Check this out, I cruise into MacNet to see what's new and I see all these gawkers crammed into a section of the store I never really paid attention to until now.  It was like watching lions feeding - utter desire and raw consumer lust (I too fondled the sleek little tablets).



























































Will I get an iPad?  Probably not.  I need genuine computers and the brand-new updated Macbook Pros look mighty nice.  Will I see people cradling iPads around town, or the grocery store, or at the beach?  For sure.

For more info:  MacNet

No comments:

Post a Comment